Your Guide to Tracking Your Website’s Uptime

Why is web hosting uptime so important? This is often the question that people ask me since I have come across a lot of hosting companies throughout the years.

I could honestly say that the top hosting companies are those that provide at least 99.9% server uptime guarantee. This means that their servers operate (almost) without fail to provide you with consistent web hosting services.

You see, website downtime or the term used to refer to your website being inaccessible due to a server problem or whatnot can be a huge pain for website owners. You have to think that every second, you could potentially have a person click on your URL from a Google search result because your site happens to contain the answer/s to their query.

If your website is inaccessible and the user is met with a ‘website unavailable’ error, then you can expect them to leave and never come back again. About 88% of users are less likely to return to a website that gives then an Error 404, while the remaining 12% may consider coming back but only if the website can be accessed again in the near future.

Why is Hosting Uptime Tracking Important?

It is customary for hosting companies to be tracking their servers at all times, but website owners should also take it upon themselves to proactively track the time their websites are up.

You see, as much as you want to take your hosting provider’s word for it, it is crucial that you will know when your website is down so that you can address the issue in a timely manner.

Tracking your potential website downtime is easy by using either server monitoring tools or website uptime tracking programs.

Types of Server Monitoring Tools

What do server monitoring tools do? Well, that depends on the type of tool we are talking about. There are some that would continuously send HTTP checks on your site to know if it is down or not, while there are also others that do far more complex tasks (but these are not free to use).

Some of the best server monitoring tools are as follows:

Ping Monitor

A ping monitor basically sends pings to your website to know if your website is down or not. Think of this as a virtual ping pong ball. If you serve the ball to a wall, it should bounce back to you once it hits it.

If the monitor sends a ping packet and it doesn’t get any pingbacks, then the monitor will notify the user that their website is down.

HTTP Monitor

A little bit more advanced than your standard ping monitor, HTTP monitors send HTTP requests to find out if a website is down or not.
This type of server monitoring tool is more advanced simply because it can also tell you information about the server, the computer, along with other important data as well.

TCP Port Monitor

An even more advanced type of server monitoring tool is the TCP port monitor. TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol and it is the transfer of data from one network device to another.

The TCP port monitor sees to it that the TCP port is continuously transmitting data so that it knows that a server or a website is still up and running. If it doesn’t get any data in return after a request is sent, then the user will be notified immediately.

Spread the love